Statement on Julian Savea
allblacks.com 21 Apr 2013 Getty Images
Hurricanes CEO James Te Puni said today that the charge related to a domestic incident last Sunday.
“Obviously, we are disappointed to have this situation emerge, but we must now let the judicial process run its course. The key thing for us is to support the families as they work through what is a very difficult time.
“I have spoken with Julian who is deeply upset to be in this position and now needs to deal with the situation,” he added.
New Zealand Rugby CEO Steve Tew said: “We were very disappointed to learn of this incident and Julian’s subsequent charge. We appreciate this is a distressing time for all those affected and we are also helping support the families.
“As his employer, we want to ensure that our process regarding misconduct proceedings also respects his right to a fair hearing in court, so we will await the conclusion of the court process.
“Without judging the rights or wrongs of this case, we are concerned that this is another incident involving a young player. We need to find out whether we are doing enough to help these young men cope with the pressures of the professional game.
“As a result of these various incidents, we will be undertaking an independent assessment of the support we provide players from their time of induction into the professional game.”
Te Puni said Savea had also appeared on posters last year as part of the It’s Not OK campaign against family violence.
“Given that, Julian is embarrassed and apologetic he now finds himself in this situation,” Te Puni said.
Most popular News:
The Tight Five: What we learned about the NZ Super Rugby teams20.Apr.2014
Bird and Fitzgerald suspended for one week20.Apr.2014
NZU20 squad to be revealed LIVE on allblacks.com20.Apr.2014
Japan win Junior World Rugby Trophy20.Apr.2014
Wade needs miracle to make tour19.Apr.2014
Sharks still on top of ladder19.Apr.2014