Just 19 years of age, Isaia Toeava joined the All Blacks in 2005 after only eight appearances in the Air New Zealand NPC but certainly held his own in his Test debut, at fullback against Scotland at Edinburgh.
A talented exponent of the Sevens game, Toeava has the skills and athleticism to play anywhere from first five-eighths out.
He played at second-five for New Zealand Under 19 but primarily at fullback for the Hurricanes in the 2006 Rebel Sport Super 14 – he was the only draft player, from Auckland, in the Hurricanes squad – and is predicted to have a bright future as a penetrative midfield back.
At just 21 years of age, Toeave earned a recall to the All Blacks in 2007 on the back of some excellent form for the Blues earlier in the year in the Super 14.
In the 2010 All Blacks Telecom BackingBlack tour, he was in imperious form, playing a vital role in three of the four Grand Slam tests.
During the 2011 Super Rugby season, he was one of the form backs of the competition, before a hip injury curtailed his campaign.
2005 v Scotland at Edinburgh
|Test Points Breakdown:||
2005 v British & Irish Lions
|Super Rugby Team:||
|Super Rugby Debut:||
2006 v Blues (Hurricanes)
|Super Rugby Caps:||
News 21.Aug.2011 See all news
• NZRU Age-Grade Player of the Year, 2005
• Played every match in his first Rebel Sport Super 14 season for the Hurricanes.
• Scored two tries against Northland in his only start of the season for Auckland in the 2005 Air New Zealand NPC.
• Received the 2005 IRB Under 19 Player of the Year award announced in November 2005 in Paris.
• Scored 62 points in four matches for New Zealand Under 19 at the IRB Under 19 World Championships in South Africa in 2005, including five tries and 37 points from the boot.
• Scored nine tries and a conversion in three IRB Sevens tournaments in 2005.