THE DOMINANT Ma’a Nonu featured in 10 All Blacks Tests last year including six RWC 2011 matches and again impressed with his determined defence and thrilling line breaks.
He took his game to new heights and earned nominations as both an IRB and New Zealand Player of the Year. One of the seasoned campaigners of New Zealand rugby, Nonu is a Super Rugby centurion, made his provincial debut in 2002 and has also turned out for the Junior All Blacks and New Zealand Sevens.
He continued his development into a world class centre in 2010, playing ten tests as well as playing a pivotal role in the All Blacks come from behind win against the Springboks in Soweto.
He played his 100th Super Rugby game in 2011, with another solid season for the Hurricanes.
In 2012, Nonu will play for three-time champions the Blues.
The explosive, some would say flamboyant Nonu has built a reputation as one of the toughest marks in world rugby, able to break the line, off-load the ball and set up or score scintillating tries.
Though he played mostly in the No 13 jersey for the Hurricanes during the Rebel Sport Super 14 in 2006, Nonu is equally comfortable at second five-eighths, where his distribution and kicking skills continue to improve.
He is a powerful runner and has carved himself a niche as a huge impact player for the All Blacks coaching staff.
A good team man, any break from his representative season will see Nonu turn out for his Oriental Rongotai club.
14/06/2003 v England at Wellington
|Test Points Breakdown:||
2002 v Hawkes Bay
115 (23 t)
|Super Rugby Team:||
|Super Rugby Debut:||
2003 v Crusaders
|Super Rugby Caps:||
News 11.Sep.2014 See all news
News 21.Aug.2014 See all news
News 19.Aug.2014 See all news
News 18.Aug.2014 See all news
• Captained Wellington through the early rounds of the 2005 Air New Zealand NPC.
• In 2005, led both the Hurricanes and Wellington with seven tries in each campaign and played every game for both teams.
• During the 2005 Rebel Sport Super 12, he equalled the Hurricanes record of three tries in a match with his hat-trick against the Brumbies. Scored another hat-trick in Wellington’s NPC match against Northland.
• Scored two tries in the 2005 All Blacks Trial.
• Scored a try for the All Blacks against the Barbarians at Twickenham in 2004.
• His brother Samson Nonu played Air New Zealand NPC Third Division rugby for Buller in 2002.