Chiefs' pressure seals Buenos Aires win

Getty Images

Lynn McConnell     31 Mar 2019     Getty Images

The second five-eighths has been one of the side's most consistent players and after his chargedown of replacement five-eighths Santiago Iglesias' clearing kick, the Chiefs used the resulting five-metre scrum to advantage with replacement No.8 Teleni Seu running to the blind to feed replacement halfback Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi in for the winning try.


The Chiefs had been up 20-6 just after halftime but on the back of an astute tactical kicking display from first five-eighths Joaquin diaz Bonilla, especially, the home team came back to draw level at 20-20 and then claim the lead with eight minutes remaining.

Bonilla got his pack into positions to provide the base to launch for tries and a third try when the ball wasn't clearly grounded over the line to the TMO's satisfaction was ruled out in the 61st minute.

Then with eight minutes left, Iglesias repeated the cross kick to perfection with wing Solomon Alaimalo unable to grasp the ball and as it dropped replacement back Matias Orlando was on hand to score.

But getting straight back into Jaguares territory, the Chiefs kept their composure and built to create their final chance to claim their second win of the tour, and the season.

Earlier, the Chiefs mounted long phases as they attempted to keep the pressure on the home side. That resulted in a 24th minute breakthrough when after a five-metre scrum penalty the Chiefs worked the ball around and then halfback Brad Weber passed long across the Jaguares' defence to feed fullback Damian McKenzie into a big hole for a try.

As the pressure mounted, the discipline of the home team faltered, earning a warning for infringements in the red zone and then after a high tackle on Damian McKenzie, the Chiefs kicked to the corner.

Controlling the maul first five-eighths Marty McKenzie stabbed a kick to the goalmouth but the ball hit the pads. However, centre Tumua Manu was able to bend down, scoop up the ball and go across under the posts.

The home team lost flanker Marcos Kremer to the sin-bin for a high tackle three minutes out from halftime.

However, the Chiefs committed offences and the Jaguares were able to occupy the 22m area just before the break and they mounted two prolonged drives at the line but at the second they knocked the ball on and the Chiefs cleared.

While the Chiefs extended their halftime lead with a Damian McKenzie penalty goal, it was the Jaguares who scored their first try after five minutes when they twice mounted lineout drives. Unable to get the ball over through their forwards they let first five-eighths Joaquin diaz Bonilla kick to the corner where fullback Joaquin Tuculet had just enough room to take the ball and touch down before sliding over the dead ball line.

In the 55th minute, Bonilla again found the line in the 22m area but the Chiefs couldn't throw the ball in straight. From the scrum, the Jaguares mounted a midfield attack and lock Guido Petti made a powerful surge toward the line and from the ruck it was replacement loose forward Pablo Matera who scored.

Scorers: Jaguares 27 (Joaquin Tuculet, Pablo Matera, Matias Orlando tries; Joaquin diaz Bonilla 2 con, 2 pen; Santiago Iglesias con) Chiefs 30 ( Damian McKenzie, Tumua Manu, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi tries; Damian McKenzie 3 con, 3 pen). HT: 6-17