What was the world like in 2002 when the All Blacks didn't hold the Bledisloe?
James Mortimer 16 Aug 2014 Getty Images
- England defeat the All Blacks 31-28 in London despite two tries from Jonah Lomu.
- The Crusaders would win the 2002 Super 12, beating the Brumbies 31-13 in Christchurch.
- Prop Joe McDonnell was the first debutant All Black for 2002, featuring against Italy and playing eight Tests as player No. 1015.
- Two All Blacks still active debuted that year, Tony Woodcock and Keven Mealamu.
- Other notable debuts that year came from Ali Williams and Rodney So'oialo.
- Auckland win the NPC, with Hawke's Bay taking the second division and North Otago the third.
- Canterbury are in the midst of a record Ranfurly Shield reign, the red and blacks would defend the Log'o Wood 23 times.
- Eric Rush, Karl Te Nana, Chris Masoe, Mils Muliaina and Roger Randle are among the 2002 Sevens Commonwealth Games Gold medallists.
- Richie McCaw would wear a headguard each time he played.
And the world...
- There are less than 4 million people in New Zealand.
- Kiwibank is formed.
- Che Fu wins NZ Album of the Year with 'The Navigator'
- New Zealand came back from the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City with no medals.
- Whale Rider was released to rave reviews, with the Niki Caro film, based on the book by Witi Ihimaera, starring Keisha Castle-Hughes who would go on to be nominated for an Oscar.
- Former Prime Minister Helen Clark wins a second term as 37th PM of New Zealand.
- USA invade Afghanistan as Operation Anaconda is officially launched.
- Denzel Washington and Halle Berry win best actor and actress at the Academy Awards.
- The Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth I, is laid to rest with more than a million lining the streets en route to Westminster Abbey.
- Barry Bonds hits his 400th home run as a Giant.
- Lennox Lewis retains boxing's WBC Heavyweight crown with an eight round knockout over Mike Tyson.
- The Bali terrorist attacks kill over 200 people.
- A new browser called Firefox is introduced to the internet.
Most popular News:
Springboks team to face the All Blacks at Ellis Park02.Oct.2014
Lancaster to coach England until end of the decade02.Oct.2014
All Blacks extend lead over Springboks to 4.48 points02.Oct.2014
Fiji and Scotland name squads for Gold Coast Sevens02.Oct.2014
Hawke’s Bay retain Shield as Wellington relegated01.Oct.2014
Auckland change one ahead of Mooloo clash01.Oct.2014