What was the world like in 2002 when the All Blacks didn't hold the Bledisloe?
James Mortimer 16 Aug 2014 Getty Images
- England defeat the All Blacks 31-28 in London despite two tries from Jonah Lomu.
- The Crusaders would win the 2002 Super 12, beating the Brumbies 31-13 in Christchurch.
- Prop Joe McDonnell was the first debutant All Black for 2002, featuring against Italy and playing eight Tests as player No. 1015.
- Two All Blacks still active debuted that year, Tony Woodcock and Keven Mealamu.
- Other notable debuts that year came from Ali Williams and Rodney So'oialo.
- Auckland win the NPC, with Hawke's Bay taking the second division and North Otago the third.
- Canterbury are in the midst of a record Ranfurly Shield reign, the red and blacks would defend the Log'o Wood 23 times.
- Eric Rush, Karl Te Nana, Chris Masoe, Mils Muliaina and Roger Randle are among the 2002 Sevens Commonwealth Games Gold medallists.
- Richie McCaw would wear a headguard each time he played.
And the world...
- There are less than 4 million people in New Zealand.
- Kiwibank is formed.
- Che Fu wins NZ Album of the Year with 'The Navigator'
- New Zealand came back from the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City with no medals.
- Whale Rider was released to rave reviews, with the Niki Caro film, based on the book by Witi Ihimaera, starring Keisha Castle-Hughes who would go on to be nominated for an Oscar.
- Former Prime Minister Helen Clark wins a second term as 37th PM of New Zealand.
- USA invade Afghanistan as Operation Anaconda is officially launched.
- Denzel Washington and Halle Berry win best actor and actress at the Academy Awards.
- The Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth I, is laid to rest with more than a million lining the streets en route to Westminster Abbey.
- Barry Bonds hits his 400th home run as a Giant.
- Lennox Lewis retains boxing's WBC Heavyweight crown with an eight round knockout over Mike Tyson.
- The Bali terrorist attacks kill over 200 people.
- A new browser called Firefox is introduced to the internet.
Most popular News:
AIG brings live streaming of All Blacks v USA Test to 127 territories30.Oct.2014
Broadcasting / local transport schedule for USA v All Blacks01.Nov.2014
Editorial: Let’s get to know Chicago, their sports, and a little bit about NZ01.Nov.2014
Maori All Blacks down Japan in Kobe01.Nov.2014
Crockett replaced by Franks in All Blacks reserves01.Nov.2014
Royal replaces Edmonds on the Maori All Blacks bench01.Nov.2014