Carter to run rule over gameplan
Sportal.co.nz 22 Jun 2013 Getty Images
With his right hand now fully operational - a cracked bone ruled him out previously - he will discover first-hand which parts of the new blueprint should be kept for the Investec Rugby Championship.
"The big thing about Dan is he's coming into a new structure that he hasn't done before. That was the key reason he had to play," said coach Steve Hansen.
A patchy win at Eden Park was used as a foundation to put together last week's 30-0 demolition in Christchurch where Aaron Cruden's immaculate kicking game saw the All Blacks dominate territory and relieve pressure with good effect.
An extension of that same kicking strategy saw second-five Ma'a Nonu put his boot to work and set up a try in a performance that would have made former mentor Wayne Smith a proud man.
Carter has been involved in discussions with both Hansen and assistant coach Ian Foster about where further developments are needed and will look to make a few subtle alterations on Saturday.
"[I share] my opinions and he also shares his as well, so there's a lot of open discussion with our thoughts and obviously just trying to work out what is best for the team," Carter said.
"We're quite often seeing the same picture."
Should all go to plan, Carter will make way for Yarrow Stadium crowd favourite Beauden Barrett in the second half with Hansen looking for all three of his playmakers to spend time getting accustomed to the new systems.
Although Cruden's near perfect performances have many wondering how long Carter will remain the All Blacks' first-choice, the 2005 IRB Player of the Year said it only motivates him to further develop himself as a player.
"There's some healthy competition there which is good," he said.
"It's not something I think about, I just bring it back to myself and what I can do to be the best player that I can be.
"It just continues my motivation to work hard out on the training paddock and keep refining my skills and just making the most of every opportunity I get.
"Although I haven't been able to run through it [game plan] in my position as much as I would have liked over the last couple of weeks I have been present at trainings and pretty close to the action."
Any analysis Carter has done of the French will be of little use with Phillipe Saint-Andre opting to use his fourth halves combination in as many games on tour.
Castres first-five Remi Tales will line up opposite Carter after making his debut of the bench at AMI Stadium a week previously.
The 29-year-old was awarded for his outstanding performances during the French Top 14 season which he capped off with a pair of clutch dropped goals to win the final against a Johnny Wilkinson-led Toulon.
Inside him at halfback will be Jean-Marc Doussain, whose one previous cap before the tour was as a substitute in the 2011 World Cup final.
Most popular News:
Carter to leave New Zealand Rugby at end of 201518.Dec.2014
New Zealand Rugby mourns the loss of Jack Hazlett17.Dec.2014
New Zealand pre-season Investec Super Rugby matches confirmed17.Dec.2014
2015 Investec Super Rugby memberships for NZ teams17.Dec.2014
Senior All Blacks may return early17.Dec.2014
Draw and pools confirmed for second leg of Women's Sevens series16.Dec.2014